Sunday, October 11, 2009

Scottish Premier League Update

Even though we are only 7 games into the new Scottish premier League season Celtic have managed to eek out a slender one point lead in the table over their arch rivals Rangers. The lead could have been much greater if Celtic had not suffered a controversial 2-1 defeat to Rangers last weekend. Three stonewall penalties should have been awarded to Celtic during the game but only one was. These mistakes were so blatant that the referee came out after the game to admit his mistake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/scottishpremier/celtic/6263381/Referee-Craig-Thomson-admits-penalty-error-in-Old-Firm-match.html

Of course post match apologies are no help for Celtic when these sort of errors occur in such a significant game even this early in the season. Celtic have to start taking the game changing decisions out of the referees hands and into their own by winning games with a bit more flair and confidence. Celtic's new manager, Tony Mobray, is clearly taking time to settle into the role and design a team shape and consistency that will allow Celtic to kill off games and accumulate points. To do this Celtic have a few issues that they need to resolve and quickly. To ensure a successful season in the SPL and in Europe they need to get their frontline scoring more regularly than they are currently, the defensive line has to get back some of the solidity of previous seasons and finally they need a creative midfielder to make the team tick. There have been some encouraging signs with a few of the summer signings like N'Guemo, Fortune and Zheng Zhi and even some excitement as a signing from last year Paddy Mc Court finally started to show his "Messi like" potential. Check out his recent wonder goal against St Mirren;

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3453994/paddy_mccourt_v_st_mirren/

Over the next 7 games I'm sure Celtic will increase their lead in the SPL but will have to improve considerably if they want to advance further in Europe, even though it is only the Europa Cup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/scottishpremier/celtic/


In other news, we need to start getting in the YES/NO numbers in for the home game against Prospect on the 18th. At the time of writing this we have only 3 players saying yes, 1 maybe and 5 no. We still have 9 guys to say one way or another.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Gents,


    I wanted to thank you for letting me on the Celts for a couple of games. I really enjoyed playing with and meeting you guys. Unfortunately, I am going to have back away from this commitment. After the last away game, I realize that this is just too much time out of my weekend to sacrifice for soccer and away from kids. I think I am going to try the pick-up game circuit for now instead. I may be up for the winter indoor league if you need folks then. I have a #13 jersey that I will give to BOR this week. Thanks again and I hope you can recruit some good, committed players for your team in this transition period. Best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Gerry but understandable. If the home or shoreline games are easier for you it would be great to keep you on the roster and see when you are available. For indoor we play in the same shirts so I would keep yours

    Hope to see you again soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. my apologies on this season. due to injuries earlier in the season and family commitments I haven't been able to attend any games (as you know). unfortunately, I can't make attend this Sunday either. in all probability, I can't see my availability for the next several Sundays. that being said, unfortunately, its seems to be pretty much a washout for the soccer season for me. perhaps my schedule will be different for summer session if you still need guys at that point. my apologies for wasting your time in a sense. I had the intention to play but it just didn't work out for me unfortunately. wish you guys the best ongoing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Griswold Airport development....

    Fellas,

    This may be an opportunity for us to show our support for a new field in Madison which we would (hopefully) get to use. If we get in on the ground floor, we may be remembered when the time comes to sign up for playing time.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. what would they want from us? I guess money but how much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know. But I'm sure $ is an option. I think we should show up to voice our support for a new field(s) and see where it goes from there. Maybe we buy nets and/or goals instead of handing them a check. How much are such things?

    ReplyDelete
  7. dont know but could be worth it....will it be built within the next 10 years? the clock is ticking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a question to ask when we show up for the "tour" of the facility.

    ReplyDelete
  9. now you're talking!!...... that should be our ultimate aim....a Madison field and social club! Then, when we retire from soccer we can watch all the young 50 years olds trying to get in to our Hall of Fame!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ask TTC to write a check….

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey.....you are now the CFO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so, are you guys playing on Sunday??

    ReplyDelete
  13. think we are going to make an exception this time and decide it by tomorrow.

    So far confirmed: Me, Carlos, Behrooz, Jacque, Tom P., Jorge and Ron....I have contacted Enrique, Ilan and telat (Tony).....I am sure all 3 will play but waiting for their calls.....don't know about Danny and someone needs to contact him.......with Danny we will have 11 and actually we will have a good team with just 11 to play against Prospect.

    The game is at 9:30 NOT 10:00 at Madison High School......please put that on the Blog.

    I have to contact Prospect and the ref. on game time and location

    ReplyDelete