Friday, May 27, 2011

Messi or Rooney to lift the Cup?

Saturday will see the culmination of the European football season with the Champions League final at Wembley stadium in London. Since I was a kid I have looked forward to this final with the hope of seeing the best that football can offer. My first recollection of a final was in 1967. Celtic were taking on the champions of Italy, Inter Milan, in the biggest game on the planet! I spent the hours before the game playing outside on the street with all the other kids planning out who would score for Celtic and what it would be like to lift the "big cup". Of course, we didnt fully realise how much of an underdog Celtic were in this final. Inter were the best team in Europe at the time and Celtic were just a small Scottish team packed with players who had all been born less than 30 miles from Celtic stadium! We didn't know what a big ask this was going to be, all we knew was that we were all going crazy with excitement because Glasgow Celtic, our Celtic, were playing against the great Inter Milan in the final that day! I remember watching the game on a TV with grainy black and white pictures being beamed from Lisbon. There was no mistaking which of the black and white striped teams on show was mine.... the glorious hoops! They strode out into the Lisbon sunshine and into history.

The bare statistics of the game show that the mighty Inter, who opened the scoring via a Sandro Mazzola penalty after eight minutes before erecting an 11-man defence, did not win a single corner and forced the Celtic goalkeeper Simpson to make but one save; Celtic had two shots off the crossbar, and 49 other attempts on goal, 13 of which were saved by Italian goalkeeper Sarti, 17 were blocked or deflected, and a mere 19 delivered off-target. Celtic won the game 2-1 to become the first British team, in fact the first Northern European team to win the European cup.

I remember the excitement, I remember the joy, but most of all I remember how fantastic and awe inspiring the football was that day.

Let's hope Barca and Man Utd can deliver even a fraction of the fearless, open football that Celtic showed on their big day.

Barca vs Man United, Saturday May 28th, Wembley Stadium 2.45pm Kick Off (EST)

42 comments:

  1. Johnaldo, great childhood memory. Looking forward to watch the game tomorrow. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roniildo... I bet you something vs ManU.
    What about if ManU wins I have to drink only water next game,(ouch) and if Barca wins I have to kick next pk, be a captain for one game or like me no beer for next party, how about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOCCER PRACTICE:
    Gents. for one more time, we play on Thursday 6PM to 8pm at Morgan HS (CLINTON) but if You don't find guys playing there (because baseball) we are at Jared Eliot Middle School is just 2 minutes from MORGAN HS.
    Yesterday was only Ruggero and me.
    Sunday is a practice too, 9am to 11 at Jared Eliot but sometimes is too many guys on Sunday.
    Have great weekends to all and drive safely.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really torn about the game tomorrow. The good news is that I'll happy with either team who wins!!

    p.s. I saw the Celtic Champions League trophy in Glasgow, so Johnaldo isn't dreaming up yet another story!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Barca play at their best they will win.... if Man Utd get the tackles in early and close down the Barca midfield they will win. Just hope its a great game ManU and Barca are my fav teams outside of Celtic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you want to see highlights of Celtic's historic win against Inter Milan in 1967 check out the Celtic video bar on the right

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've added a new Madison Celtic link to our photos called " Madison Celtic Photostream" check it out top right

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have also added a new feature called Photo Of the Week! Suggestions are welcome for this! This one is of Jodingo!! and I in the Celtic Trophy room in front of the 'Big Cup' !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barca are so going to thrash Manure because Messi and Villa are going to score amazing goals.

    Forza Barca!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool Johnaldo! I definitely have some suggestions for photos of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOTB....Good...some of your pics that didn't make it first time round may have a second chance now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barca Jack....You might be right about Messi! But Chicharito and Rooney will be working some magic too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I SCORED 45700 on the power pinball game i added at the bottom right of the blog try it out when you are bored! it has music so you can switch on or off your sound depending on your mood!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jodingo!! i'm revamping the blog while on vacation

    ReplyDelete
  15. Johnaldo, You're bored? You're in Scotland! Go to a pub!!! Practice for the game tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 336700 final score Johnaldo.....first try. you better practice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. going soon! Got an indoor game early tomorrow morning so got to take it a bit easy tonight

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow!! LOTB that's a huge score !! you must have had a wasted childhood playing games....computers were not invented when i was a kid..... I used to play marbles or conkers....great times

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes, was an Atari girl growing up, but spent my fair share outside playing too!

    enjoy your pint(s) tonight at the pub :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Tody

    I am reading my son's blog and finding out all about football. Why did i spend so much time in the kitchen? I was unaware how famous Celtic were. My seven uncles were all dedicated followers of Celtic but in the days before computers.
    It cheers my heart that Madison Celtic are such great devotees of Glagow Celtic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Johnaldo's Mum! Thanks for the note! I'm looking forward to seeing you again in September!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome Johnaldo's Mum! Your son does a wonderful job on the blog, always fun and very informative for me, as a new soccer fan!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many thanks for welcoming me! My novice approach to the internet is over, at last I can compete with my sons and grandchildren!

    You ain't seen nothing yet!

    From a youthful Celtic supporter!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great stuff added to the blog, Johnaldo. This blog is getting very professional. I have to have my mum check it out from London

    ReplyDelete
  25. El Gato. Good idea. Then our mom's can talk on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Let's have a page on the side for mom's only

    ReplyDelete
  27. El Gato... yeah... then they can post our baby photos up and really humiliate us!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Johnaldo for the pictures, music and your history childhood. Very nice. Soccer es very interenting and necessary for many people. Just I can say that I saw soccer on TV wnen I was 17. Remember I come from the Ecuatorian Jungle. Anyway I like play soccer. Congrats and good luck tomorrow. !GO ManU! Viva Valencia!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Voting time is nearly up and the game is nearly upon us. Based on the voting looks like a 2 1 win for Barca!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anybody's game at the half

    ReplyDelete
  31. Barca are champions!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great win by Barca.... well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Messi.... currently the best player in the World! Is he the best player ever?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Johnaldo,
    For the answer to your question, see:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13588813.stm

    Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bambi.... that journalist is an idiot.....

    ReplyDelete
  36. I told you Barca would win, I told you Messi and Villa would score amazing goals. They are the best in the World!

    ReplyDelete
  37. celtic socks have been bought.... Goalie gear more of a problem... they have goalie shorts! Dont think that will be a cool look for the Hulk....

    ReplyDelete
  38. New article posted

    ReplyDelete