Thursday, May 27, 2010

PLAYER FOCUS on.....Drew ...."Bambi"....!

It's time for another unique experience! Yes, another player focus! This time the newbie under the microscope is that giant skyscraper of a player Drew. Some call him Lanky, some call him Stretch, some even call him Crouchy but to us he has only one name, and that is..... Bambi! From the moment he took to the ice, sorry soccer field, and proceeded to show us his striking inability to coordinate his legs he earned the name. Of course, he answered his critics by scoring on his debut and continues to impress with his incredibly detailed accounts of fishing and cameras. Well his player focus is no different!
Enjoy!




First time you played soccer?
I played for several spring/fall leagues as a small kid, probably aged 6-9 or so and then gave it up for baseball (at which I was also no good). I got back into it for real as an adult at around age 27 right after finishing my doctorate and have loved playing ever since. ( So basically you haven't really started playing soccer at all yet...that's what I'm reading here...oh yeah, that's what I'm reading....)

Favorite Team?
Man Utd. Why? Ummm.. In reality probably because when I really started playing again as an adult Beckham mania was full fledged and it served as my first entry into really learning about the European game. I am impressed by SAF and the fact that they have managed to do so well so long with some continuity in the staff there. On the other hand, they keep putting Paul Scholes on the field, and he keeps making those tackles… why does he keep making those tackles? ( I don't know Bambi but your answer sounds like you are re-doing your doctorate thesis! Have you not heard of the Scholes uncertainty principle? You never know when or where he is going to tackle you? ....tsk tsk.... call yourself a scientist?)

Fav Player?
Actually not Goldenballs. As I learned more about the European game, I started watching more leagues and teams - definitely my favorite was Zinedine Zidane. Headbutts aside, noone controlled a game like ZiZou at his best. Also like many other attacking midfielders with a penchant for slotting in a pass that makes really good defenders look stupid - Xavi, Fabregas, Gerrard, Essien. ( ...and so the thesis continues.... )

Fav Music?
Anything but Country. Seriously, my truck and my girl are doing just fine, thank you. ( What about your one legged dog ? )




Fav Movie?
So many options…. gotta love the Princess Bride though. "That word. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means…." ( There are just so many things wrong with this sentence that I don't know where to start.....)




Best moment on a soccer field?
One time I actually managed to single handedly dribble past 2 defenders and the goalkeeper and score in an indoor game about 4 years ago. My teammates gave me the obvious "where the f*** has that been hiding???" ( so....where the f*** has it gone??)

Nickname at school?
None really in school…. got nicknamed "flash" by my buddies in DuPont Merck after burning my hands in a chemical fire… we were a real supportive bunch. ( and now your are with an even more supportive bunch of guys....and you are our Bambi....)

Motto for life?
Play hard.. life can be shorter than you think. ( Oh God, another cheery soccer player....whatever happened to " always look on the bright side of life..ta dum, ta dum, ta dum, ta dum, ta dum" ....or were you just thinking about Tano when you said this??)

Something we don't know about you?
I gave up soccer and baseball in school for fencing. Then I actually got good at it. Was a 2X All american at UNC in Foil and was at my best competitive with the top 25 or so fencers in the US. So my reflexes are fine…. it's the lack of technique that defines my football game :) ( Ah... and of course, your rapier wit Bambi! )

Most famous person I've met?
Nobody. Seriously, I suck. Warren Buffet's first wife was related to my family though, does that count? (....No....)


Thanks Bambi! Welcome to the team!

Bambi and Thumper go for a dance.....

38 comments:

  1. Arniesto....you said Milford were winning a lot of their games....were are you getting the intel? The CARLS website hasn't been updated for about 2 or 3 years so no luck there

    ReplyDelete
  2. For now on we have to yelling at Bambi
    Touchéééé Bambi Touchééééand he problaly score but please don't flat the ball.
    For me Bambi, life, is always short specially after corner kick or just standing at your side.

    Nice and funny player Focus Johnaldo (like always)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not the CARSL website is up to date for standings and weekly results. Carsl.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Arniesto, hard to believe it.
    Guys:
    if we win Bridgeport we get on first place.
    Any news Tom A.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Arniesto i had given up looking for an updated league standing. I have now created a new page with the current league standings. Milford game will be a top of the league clash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great player focus Bambi, and great responses from johnald....

    Q how do you incorporate the images beside your posts J&T?

    how related was buffet's first wife, and how many wives is he up to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got all the shorts, socks and tops that people requested!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roniildo, if you get a google account you can sign in under that name...allows you to come up with a photo and nickname as well become a follower of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom-A, can you send us contact info for Astrit (Bridgeport-A). our CRO(s) need to up the deal to get Astrit to celtic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bambi enjoyed your player focus!

    Johnaldo loved the pics you chose! the one with the little guy is one of my favorites! Very funny commentary.....as always. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tano, looks like we're out of luck for Sunday match see notr from Ron Weller below, and heard nothing yet from Tom-A on Bridgeport

    "Ronnie - We could only get 6 players so you might want to look for another team. If you want a small scrimmage with those 6 at Madison, let me know. Unfortunately, I am out with an injury. RW"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ronildo,
    Warren Buffet's late first wife was Susan Thompson Buffet (she died in 2004). Her father, William Thompson, was my dad's uncle and namesake (He is William Oxley Thompson).

    Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bambi, 3 degrees of separation from the 2nd richest guy in the world...you could sponsor the building of the Madison Celtic FC stadium!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ronildo:
    The same thing I hear it from Kris last night
    and is Thursday afternoon at ready so it looks like we have not game Tom A. out of signal in the middle east.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tano, out of signal OK...pretty hard to do in today's high tech com world :-)))Just have to wait for Milford magic the following week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bambi! get some of that money rolling in to the club coffers! We could be in the MLS before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annie

    All the pics i chose were yours! The little and large one is funny though

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello All,

    I updated the CSSA Website (http://cssasoccer.com) on Thursday, May 27th:

    1. Updated 2009-2010 CSSA State Cups Results and Standings -- Over-40s semi-finals results for matches played on May 26th.

    2. Updated 2009-2010 CSSA Suspension List -- through May 24th.


    I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you of the 2010 USASA National Cup Region I semi-finals this Sunday, May 30th:

    United SC (DC/VA) versus Wallace FC (DE)

    Danbury United (CT) versus Bristol Italians (CT)

    The two Connecticut teams, hot rivals in the SASL Over-30 League First Division, will battle it out at the Portuguese Cultural Center in Danbury. Kick-off time is 5:00 PM. Your support for both these teams is greatly encouraged and I am sure you will be made very welcome at the Portuguese Cultural Center and you will enjoy their famous hospitality.

    The winner will meet United SC or Wallace FC in the Region I final on Sunday, June 27th, kick-off at 11:30 AM, at The United German Hungarian Club Stadium Field at 4666 Bristol Road, Oakford, PA 19053. The winner of that will go on to the USASA National Cup "final four" at the same stadium as the Region I final on July 30th through August 1st, 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sorry guys....Bridgeport can field a team either for this Sunday. I am going to contact couple of other teams but we also need to know who is available for this Sunday. Can we get 11?

    In for this Sunday:

    Tom A

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry, I meant Bridgeport CAN NOT...oops

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend!!

    (I'll be on my boat....for those that had evidently never seen boating gear....that was what was in my trunk!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. yeah Jodingo!! that's what you said to Clarice too....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will be flying back Sunday but too late for a game...

    ReplyDelete
  24. too late now...made alternative plans.

    Stay fit for for the top of the table clash with Milford Magic next week!

    Have a great weekend everybody, and safe trip back johnaldo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Blog has been fairly quiet after the record-setting 118 comment day! No horizontal stripes or brain size discussion! ;o)

    Enjoy the long holiday weekend all and safe trip Johnaldo! See you Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey.... it was 124 comments! Holiday weekend so most people probably not reading the blog! Which i think is crazy! How will everyone get their news without checking in on the blog? Oh well.... World Cup starting soon! Check out the new Nike commercial i put in the favs section on MadCelt TV

    ReplyDelete
  27. yes, Johnaldo, you are right...124!!!

    The nike video was really cool! Thanks for posting.

    I am looking forward to World Cup! My daughter was trying to get me to buy the cleats that Didier Drogba wears (purple nikes-$129), claiming as a U12 state cup champion she should have those heading into her U13 season....aahhhh, no.

    Yes, Friday evening on the blog....I'm as bad as you on the blog during your vacation!

    I hear Sam Adams calling my name.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. She's a Drogba fan? That's cool he is a great player.... as long as she doesn't become a Chelsea fan....there is only one team worse than that you can support.......Rangers!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sam Adams? I thought Stella was your friend?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Enjoy the holiday weekend guys and Annie...

    ReplyDelete
  31. They showed the Nike video few times at the US game at the stadium on Tuesday. Pretty cool...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have fun if somebody want play soccer Saturday morning from 7 to 9 am in hollow park Woodbury is Welcome also Monday Memorial day too. let me know if someone wants to came from my house one hour before the time game.
    Happy everything.

    (bellow this line I paste a copy of Peter mail)

    A bumper weekend of soccer on tap, as we all continue the countdown to the world cup.



    Our usual Saturday morning session, and then the (4th) Annual Memorial Day Invitation on Monday…come one, come all.



    And just to make your WC preparations a little easier, here’s a day-by-day schedule (including TV coverage). You know which game I’ll be watching alone:



    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/fixtures?cc=5901&ver=us







    WHEN: Saturday, 7.00 a.m. till 9.00 a.m.



    WHEN: Monday, 8.00 a.m. till 10.00 a.m. ******extra session******



    WHERE: Hollow Park, Woodbury (lower field)



    For those who are new to the Hollow, follow this link for directions:



    http://tinyurl.com/5g4j9b



    As ever, bring a light shirt and a dark…no grey!



    cheers
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  33. Annie:
    I was quiet on the blog since my wife read what Fribeka said about if we don't have better thing to do.
    Now I painting up and down my House and after I done with this she want me to wax her car (wax in wax out) so I'll be ready for Mister Miyagy Fribeka Sansei to teach me how handle my time and my life may be some karate too.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tano,

    I do have a black belt in Karate! So, little apprentice - wax on, wax off! once you are done with your wife's car, you will return to the blog faster with your fingers on the keyboard! :o)

    Have a great weekend,
    happy memorial day to all and the lady of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lady of the Blog! Ha! That almost sounds Irish!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I also have a black belt but i use it to hold up my pants

    ReplyDelete
  37. "Practice Tomorrow at Calvin Leete"

    Hello every one!!
    I wonder if some one want to practice like an hour and 1/2 before Sunday,
    There is two days of practice at the same place, but the difference is, Wednesday we are like 8 or 10 at least and Thursday we are like 24 or 30 (too crowd ) for a small field.
    that's why I invite you to play tomorrow.

    Roniildo can you tell Hallil If he can show up tomorrow too instead of Thursday?
    We start at 6PM

    El Gato I like to contact Danny or Dejan For helping in coaching for free you have the contact list, or can you ask for me.
    Thank you .

    For some the are new directions are bellow.

    Directions from I-95 going North

    Take exit 59 for Goose Ln 0.2 mi

    Turn right at Goose Ln 417 ft

    Take the 2nd right onto CT-146
    W/Boston St 0.6 mi

    Turn left at S Union St Destination will be on the left
    -------
    Directions from I-95 going South

    Take exit 59 for Goose Ln 0.3 mi

    Turn right at Goose Ln 0.3 mi

    Take the 2nd right onto CT-146
    W/Boston St 0.6 mi

    Turn left at S Union St
    Destination will be on the left

    ReplyDelete