Tuesday, May 26, 2009

PLAYER FOCUS on....."Fribeka!"

Yes, it's time for Fribeka or "La Boca junior" to step forward and take the heat, because it's his turn on PLAYER FOCUS! What can we learn about Fribeka that we don't know already? This tight shirt loving, central midfielder has played a few years with Madison and is a regular fixture in the team....Yes i know, fixtures don't usually move. But his uncanny ability to turn on a dime...and keep turning until the whole team is dizzy is just one of his many talents. If he was fitted with a GPS it would be telling him to turn around at the first available opportunity every five minutes. Of course, he learned his soccer skills while playing ice hockey in Canada....and it shows. He is the Wayne Gretzky of the Madison Celts and our team would not be the same without him. Fribeka....take us away....

First time you played soccer? With Madison FC??? But seriously I do recall kicking the ball with my Father in our backyard when I was a little bambino!


Favorite Team? Any team as long as they show beautiful Football:
On the domestic side, Man U!
On the international side, in the 80s Brazil; today, Go Oranje!
( All i can remember is Scotland 3 Holland 2, in the '78 World Cup! )

Fav Player? I may have one for every decade! Zico was one the most fantastic player to watch! But since I wear #5 - Zizou Zidane! ( He is a big head butter... )

Fav Music? Every "genre" for every mood! I like to dance so, Salsa, Meringue….
I have my relaxing moments so I listen to Classical music and Enjoy the voice and look of Sarah Brightman! When I'm in my car mostly my favorite bands - Pixies, NIN!
( What do you listen to when you are in crazy, Fribeka, La Boca Junior mood??)

Fav Movie? Movies that I would watch everyday: Ferris Buller day off - Pulpe Fiction - Woody Allen; Love and death, Sleeper, Bananas movies - the Bad, the good and the ugly (I've seen the bad and ugly when you play, when is the good coming along? )

Best moment on a soccer field? Every time I survive a game without injuries! ( One of these days you will spin around so fast you will screw yourself into the ground...then you can be the referee )

Nickname at school? Black magic, given to me during my playing time in Hockey! Oh! how time goes by fast! ( hey, you are still magic...you manage to disappear during every game!)

Motto for life? We only live once, make the best of it! ( you can't say that to El Gato, he thinks he has nine lives )

Something we don't know about you? I have a black belt in Karate (Chito Ryu) and an orange belt in Tae Kwon do - I was once rank #5 in Canada in Martial art competition! I stopped ~25 years ago when I got my ass kicked by the 3 times World Champion in full contact Reynald campbell, and he was teaching me! ( wow, number 5 in Canada! that's like being ranked number 178,678,152 nd in the USA....)



Thanks Fribeka! See, that wasn't painful at all was it?

25 comments:

  1. John, I couldn't stop laughing.. By far this was your best commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a fine wine, Johnaldo is getting better with time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. El Gato....you posted your comment at 1:43 AM.....what's da matter wid you?!? Taking 'cat naps'??

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, stick me in a barrel for a few years and this is what comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's the only time he's allowed on the computer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about Celtic. And Kevin McDaid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome blog and update............looking forward seeing everyone this Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Celtic fan who was beaten to death Sunday in his own neighborhood by Rangers fans after their "victory".

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/05/25/n.ireland.ap/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I demand a retraction…. I've been misquoted….. I never said those things…. I deny everything….

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need to put you first up when our team gets into a scuffle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hockey part explains why when you kick the ball out of bounds you must
    be thinking the ball will bounce of the boards. I mean, there's got to
    be some explanation, right???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes when you take a slap shot it can hit your own player if in the line of fire.... sometimes when you kick the ball it can hit your own player in the back of his head... Just saying :o)

    Coach.. I'll be there Sunday and I will try to get there on my own. Better leave at 6:00AM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If that method works for keeping the ball in bounds, I'll take one or two
    for the team.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gentlemen,

    Hope you all had a good weekend and ready for a good game this Sunday. We are scheduled to play against New Fairfield and this is an AWAY game for us. The game is at New Fairfield High School and you can google it for directions if going there directly. We have to be there by 9:30 am.

    For players that are interested to carpool from Madison Circle Pizza (Rt. 80/79 circle). Please be there by 8:00 am
    Guys, we have had plenty of rest for the past few weeks and we need to be ready for this Sunday against a good New Fairfield team.

    Please let me know if you going there direclty or interested to carpool from Madison.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have received feedback from most, indicating they would like me to continue to send out a "confirmed roster" for each match by Thursday at the latest. Please send me a Yes or No asap. Tom, for those who confirm by phone, can you pass this on to me by Thursday.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  16. I may have to go to NJ to pick up my mom and bring her to CT for a big day Monday and may not be able to make it to the game. I guess you guys can do without my 10 minutes of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was working until 3 a.m. and was taking a break at 1:30.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It will be a real shame if we can't get 11 players for Sunday....tells me we don't have the right size of squad for this league.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These 140 mile return trips for away games really are putting people off ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. How about Frebika who already confirmed but wasn't on the list. Carlos and Jorge never confirm anyways but show up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. we need a phone call system....that's what happened when we played for Clinton.....a call on Thursday or Friday night reminding you about the game and getting a firm yes or no.... We won't be able to get through the season like this. We also need to know who in the squad are really avaialable for away games....it's ok to say you're not....we just need to know....then we get a bigger squad

    ReplyDelete
  22. Celtic Men,

    Doesn't look good for Sunday (pretty sad roster document attached….I am unashamedly trying to guilt you into a definite YES!). Please let me know asap if you are in for Sunday's match….That's all that really matters for planning purposes. There is no point in 8 of us driving all that distance, without a goalie, to get hammered by a good team of 16 players or so. Because we started out so strong this season, it is a shame we don't seem to be able to commit at the team level. I know there is a few of us who travel, but very rarely is there significant overlap in travel schedules. I also appreciate we have family commitments and kids, dogs etc., but I have to admit, I am still amazed we can't seem to consistently commit to our team. The point is we have chosen to play soccer our favorite sport in the whole world on Sunday mornings….Let's stay united and get on with the rest of the season. Our roster is 18 players, so we should get 12 or 13 every week……No!

    ReplyDelete