Sunday, October 12, 2008

MATCH REPORT; Milford 2 Madison 2

Erratic form returns to haunt Madison


Vibrant Fall colors, a verdant lush field and a warming Sun arcing across an azure sky created the perfect conditions for playing the "beautiful game". Unfortunately this picture perfect scene was to be ruined by some pretty ugly play by both teams during the match. For some strange reason Madison started the game in a very sluggish manner with some very low energy performances permeating through the team. Milford, although not exactly magic, were sufficiently enterprising to force the Madison team on to the defensive throughout the first 15 minutes of this game. Although the Madison defense has played well at times through the season this game would not prove to be one of their best. Even with the return of the nomadic Hamid to the defensive ranks the back four played out an error strewn first quarter of the game and were rewarded for this sloppy play by a goal from Milford. A simple ball was lobbed up through the left of the Madison defence and chased by an on running Milford forward who was easily first and last to the ball as he slammed it past the stranded Behrooz.
This served as the wake up call for the Madison players as their play started to noticeably improve. Some nice touch and go passing between the defence, midfield and attack ended with another classic mazy run by Carlos into the opposition penalty box. After a few scrambled and frantic attempts at shooting by Madison, and desparate clearances by Milford, the ball finally made its way into the back of the net with the help of the battling midfielder Jacques. At this point Madison were playing well and getting on top of their opposition. However, in another moment of defensive befuddlement Tom A over hit a pass to Tom P across the edge of the Madison penalty box straight in to the path of the on rushing Milford forward who wasted no time in dispatching the ball into the Madison net. Another avoidable goal from Madison which could have signalled some heads going down and the game running away from them. To their credit Madison again raised their play and got back into the game. Several chances went begging at the Milford end of the field but, shortly before half time a free kick on the right hand side for Madison was expertly swung in by Scott and met at the far left post by Eric to squeeze the ball in for the equalizer. All tied at half time and some frustrations beginning to show around the field.
The second half was a largely fractious, bad tempered affair with both teams having trouble completing their passes. There were still many chances to score with Rohan and Carlos doing some strong running but getting no luck in front of goal. Milford also had a clear goal bound shot cleared off the line before having a player sent off for persistent fouling. After this the game ran its course with no further incident as Madison slumped to another avoidable draw.
Next up will be Trumball and hopefully a return to the form that saw off New Fairfield earlier in the season.

17 comments:

  1. Wait a minute! "Erratic form return to hunt Madison" and you post a picture of me!!! Ok! I was not in good form after 3 weeks off (regardless of my goal, I can admit it), but I can pin point a lot of first team players who should look at their own game first before criticizing anyone on the field!

    That's it! I demand a transfer to Real Madrid. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you would like the tough tackling photo of yourself!..... you need to join Unreal Madrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    Responding to the updated Blog.......on Milford's second goal, I didn't over hit the ball. Here is what happened.....I got the ball on the left side of defense and I had no one to pass the ball in front of me except for Tom P. on my right. I passed the ball to Tom P. and he let it go and the Milford's player received it and then scored.


    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I went back to support Tom as he got the ball and had a man on him.
    He passed to me and it came quicker than I first thought. I think I could have gotten to it but after misjudging its speed for me to get it I would have had to extend my leg toward goal. I was worried about deflecting it into our goal, so I let it pass because I thought John was near me.

    My mistake. I should have gone for the own goal!

    Tom p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time just kick it out!!! I do that.
    H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gentlemen, let's be clear... the 2nd goal occurred because we passed the
    ball into the center, deep in our half. When we are deep in our half and
    pressure is on, let's GET IT OUT....give up a throw in or corner kick if
    necessary to allow our backs and midfielders time to fall back. We should
    not be sending lateral balls into the center near our goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, you are right...I could have kicked it out.....


    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, Tom was under pressure from the Milford guy and it was a very nice finish from the other Milford player - which it had to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scott,

    I totally agree with what you said and learned my lesson how to play with our own defensive players in the back line


    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah...it was my fault!.... you know what i think i will use the Jody card....it was his fault

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wondering if this would have happened with me back there!!!!

    I mean, I would have scored directly in our goal instead of passing in the middle and letting them do i
    H

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danny won't like all this talk about scoring own goals! we don't do that now

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danny,
    What happened? Tom said you were on your way on Sunday morning.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danny was kidnapped by the terrorists and is not reported to his act of duty to his work today. He is currently on the Police missing list

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think the Milford Magic had him wacked.
    Or paid him to not come.
    Or made him disappear

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's an interesting hypothesis.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's tragic
    If he's been done by the Magic

    ReplyDelete