Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Post Match Review

Some more "action" shots from the game and a few observations!




Great victory on Sunday and a nice way to round off the Summer season, if that ends up being the final game. Tom will tell us if we have another game this Sunday.

So a few talking points from the game that might be worth talking about, if any of you can work out how to post a comment. And i'm not talking about you, Anonymous!

Where can we improve?

To offside trap, or not?

Looks like we have to decide fairly early in a game if the ref is up to playing the offside rule effectively. If he is, then i think we can work it reasonably well. Although, we have to be ready to run as soon as the ref does not give it. We tend to stand and shout hoping he will change his mind........he won't. I know our goalie, Jim, will agree after his well thought out comments to the defence after we let the second goal in at the weekend...... Now, if we get the first hint that the ref cannot, will not , or never will give an offside then let's just learn that lesson once in the game!

Midfield support for the attack?

I've noticed a number of times when Jorge, Carlo or Enrique have gone off on a solo charge at the opposition defence that when they finally do lift their heads to pass to someone we have not provided them with many choices. There are teams we play that can have 5 or 6 players in the penalty box when they are attacking. I think we should always have one of our midfielders stationed centrally just on the edge of the penalty box when we have an attack and at least two others running into the box; one to the near post and one to the far. If we tried that one tactic then we would have at least 3 options for any attacker with the ball. This still allows the "spare" attacker to be available for a pass too. Off course, our attackers have to look up to give the pass. Then again, if they knew that our midfielders would always be in the attack positions i've just mentioned they could pass without thinking too much. Hey, maybe we should try it?

OK, go ahead and comment......you can, i know you can

21 comments:

  1. I refuse to play unless John apologize for his critics posted on his blog. If you read between the lines 8-) , he is saying that we are useless as attacking midfielder, too slow to catch up with Carlito and that Enrique has no choice to dribble everybody on the opposing team, and sometime on our team, to create scoring chances. John, I gave you the best 10 minutes of soccer that I can generate considering that my jersey is too small (probably your making) which doesn't allow me to breathe normally!!!! and that's how you thank me!!! This is worst than Danny screaming at me every 2 minutes eventhough i'm on the bench.... :-D

    I quit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Celtic jerseys are not for second best, They don't shrink to fit inferior players" Jock Stein (Manager of Celtic 1965-78)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second your vote of protest! The defenders are incessantly
    pleading with us to "Get Back! Get Back!" (the sky must be falling....or
    there's a wolf or something back there that they're afraid of.....) andthen we are publicly humiliated in the blog for not supporting our
    strikers! Can't win!
    And then we have to wear those silly arse green-and-white hoop jersyes on
    top of it all...

    I quit too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last thing I wanted do to come off as an unthinking crazy mean
    keeper - I do at times become overly competitive and lash out stupidly
    from my mouth.

    The ground was as hard as the air and sun were hot and I regret if my
    outburst hurt or pissed anyone off - I did feel quite diminished in my
    box afterwards. Break aways are part of the game - I should have
    mentioned my concern about the trap burning us more often than not beore
    the game. I'll defer team strategy to senior members.

    Having said that - I'm having trouble with my right knee that started
    after the game at New Fairfield.

    I believe I"ll need good 4-6 weeks of not playing on it to see where it
    is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good to see my suggestions were taken so well by the team!....

    Any advice for the defence is welcome.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ihope that j is kidding. dont quit. D

    ReplyDelete
  7. he's kidding but u sure you don't want him to quit???? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No respect at all!!! Now I quit!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacques

    jamais céder, ne jamais abandonner, vous devez toujours combattre!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm impressed! all this time I was swearing at you in French, you could understand me!! :-X

    For those who need a translation, J just write in French that the team really need me and that I'm the best left, black, baldy midfielder inj the league (there is no other one, right?!??) and that the team cannot afford losing me, and that T will arrange to have a cold beer ready with a tray of fresh fruits everytime I get subbed out.... :-$

    J, don't worry, since you are the only one feeling my frustration, I'll share with you!

    Have a good day all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Das Boots is a complete suck up! Always looking for votes.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. J

    Ik probeer mijn best tevreden, maar de stemmen zijn belangrijk, ook in
    Nederland

    Das Boots

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still not voitng for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I'm impressed! all this time I was swearing at you in Dutch, you could understand me!!

    For those who need a translation, J just write in Dutch that he is glad Jody is quiting because Jy is making him look bad everytime he out runs him to catch up to a player that passed by him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like solid team unity!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And this is after winning a game!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of this after winning a big win and a good revenge.....it's paying off after a good hard fought game

    ReplyDelete
  18. hhmmm...based on your translations it looks like i understand French and Dutch better than you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hhmmm.....

    "Never give in, never give up, you must always fight!"....is the more positive translation

    j

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good MLS All star game

    ReplyDelete